Thursday, March 30, 2006

Oarai (Big Wash!)

Oarai is a port about an hour north-east away by highway. I think the name is funny because the Chinese characters literally read 'big wash' :)

To be honest, Oarai is not so beautiful but there are many things to do. Something was added to that a few weeks ago when a new outlet shopping mall was opened. It is crowded now, but I can't help think that after a while people will get tired of it. Actually the design is quite nice and will be good in the warmer months. It is open plan, so it will be freezing in winter! It is right next to the Marine Tower which is the first triangular shaped glass tower I've seen.









I like Oarai Aquarium. There are many things to see but my favorite are the sea otters. It is a pity they only have two (or I only saw two) and they are in relatively small tanks.










Another thing I like is the tank of wonderful jellyfish! They are so beautiful. I tried to take a picture of the mini-jelly fish next to the big ones but they are so small and clear that they don't show up in a picture.

Oh, and another really good thing is the tank of sardines in the entry hall! Like thousands of silver comets ...

I want to get a job working there :) When I was a university student, I seriously considered changing courses and study so I could work in a zoo.

No comments: