Saturday, June 17, 2006

Coffee at home

If you've been reading this blog for a while you'll know that I am a tea drinker rather than a coffee person. BUT I do like delicious coffee sometimes.

The problem is that I am not very good at making coffee, so recently I tried to change that. An acquaintance of mine gave me a coffee-maker that she bought but didn't fit her kitchen. It is a nice one made by Thermos (brand) and the brewed coffee goes into a Thermos flask. The flask keeps the coffee hot so there is no hot plate. In fact, professionals say that you SHOULD NOT keep coffee on a hotplate for more than 20 minutes because it will 'burn' and the coffee will taste bitter. Anyway, I really like the coffee-maker. You can see it here -->

www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BHRQPE/
qid=1150533754/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_10_5/249-0193723-2741951

To test the new machine I went to Starbucks and bought some beans. At first I thought that I would get some decaffinated beans because some of my friends don't want to have caffinated drinks. I talked to a staff member in the Lala Garden Starbucks and she said the decaf beans were a little weak, so after thinking about it for a while, I decided to buy the same beans that Starbucks use for the regular coffee they make. (Espresso Roast - Bold flavor) I also got a brochure on how to make good coffee.

The homemade coffee was great, but WOW was it strong! I ended up mixing half coffee and half milk to make a latte. Now I use 200mls of water, not 180mls per two scoops of coffee.

The funny thing is that recently I go to Tullys more than Starbucks because Starbucks at Lala Garden is too small and noisy so I can't relax. {I go twice a month because I have to have a quick lunch at Lala Garden before I teach at 'Lala Club'. At either coffee shop a sandwich and a coffee costs almost 1000yen - expensive lunch but fast!}

acquaintance - 知人,

No comments: