Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Lovely Lotus

Lotus flowers are so beautiful! And of course, lotus root (renkon) is great to eat.

When I married I stopped eating lotus root so much because my husband said he disliked it. I don't remember why, but last year I bought it and he tried it. Now he says it's delicious!

Maybe the reason is that the one he ate before (in Western Japan) was not so fresh or not good quality. Tsuchiura is the lotus root capital of Japan and it is said to be the best. Try driving around Lake Kasumigaura to see fields upon fields of swaying leaves and pink flowers. You'll have to hurry though because the flowering season is almost over. Ueno Park in Tokyo also has a small lake with many lotus.

The only problem is that I think the water in Kasumigaura probably isn't too clean. Hmm, just try not to think about it when you buy lotus root this winter!

By the way, if you want to try a new dish, slice the root thinly and fry it in a tablespoon of olive oil. (Just a little oil is enough.)

No comments: