Thursday, February 24, 2011

During the afternoon, while teaching a class....

.... I found two mistakes using "while" and "during" ;)

Very basically, "during" is used with a noun phrase. That noun phrase shows a period of time. There is only one verb.

   Please make notes during the class.

   During the meeting, Mr. Tanaka fell asleep.

   I study English during TV commercial breaks.



"while" is used when you have two actions, so two verbs.

   I study English while watching TV.

   While I was talking to my sister on the phone, I cleaned up my    room.

   Please watch out for cars while riding your bike.


* Both "while" and "during" show an action over a period of time, not just at one moment.

* "while" mostly uses "V + ing" but not in all cases.

* Native speakers don't use "while" and "during" for every case. If the feeling of over a period of time is not important, we can change it to more simple grammar:


   Please make notes in class.

   Mr. Tanaka fell asleep at the meeting.

   I study English in TV commercial breaks

   I study English when I watch TV.

   When I was talking to my sister on the phone, I cleaned up my room.

   Please watch out for cars when riding your bike. 

No comments: