Thursday, February 03, 2011

Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto

On Sunday I went to Kiyomizu Temple in the morning. I chose it because I wanted to go somewhere that existed in the Heian Period, and that Sei Shonagon had visited. Kiyomizu Temple was founded in 798, but the present temple building was built in 1633.

I love reading "The Pillow Book" and I have several versions: one rare book from 1920, another translated in the 1980s and now a newer electronic book. If I had magic, or a time machine!, I would go back and visit Shonagon. She sometimes went to Kiyomizu for a Buddhist retreat. I know everything has changed, but I guess the mountain view is still similar ....

Anyway, it was SO SO SO busy! I cannot imagine what it must be like in spring or autumn in the peak seasons. It was difficult to take a picture that didn't have many people in it, so please forgive the poor photos.





No comments: