Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bi-carbonate of soda

Bi-carbonate of soda (baking soda) is wonderful for cleaning in the house. I used to buy it in big packets from a home-center, but now it is sold in the 100yen shop.

First I put it in a shaker bottle, which I can use to fill up the small white dish you can see. I keep that next to the dish washing detergent in the kitchen. Put a VERY little detergent on the sponge, then dip it into the baking soda. It is perfect for gently cleaning teacups :)  All the tea stains will be removed easily. It is also good for scrubbing pots and pans, and to clean the stainless steel sink. Glasses become so shiny when you use it.

Another good thing is that it helps to make bubbles (I don't know why) so you don't need so much detergent.

As for the big plastic container, this is what I keep in the laundry and I add one or two scoops to the middle rinse cycle when I wash clothes. It makes towels soft.

If you want to try a science experiment and to clean your drains at the same time, put one cup of baking soda into the drain, followed by one cup of vinegar. Be careful because it will FIZZ  -  like a volcano! But the fizzing bubbles are good for cleaning the drain and cutting any grease from the walls of the pipes.

It also absorbs smells, so you can leave an open packet in cupboards or in the linen closet.

Finally, keep a package by the cook-top because it will help put out an oil fire if your fish grill or tenpura pan catch fire :)

No comments: