Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Not or no?

Are you confused how to use NOT and NO?

Look at these examples. Can you find any grammar pattern?

I have no money.
Peter was no help at all.
There is no salt on the table.

This pattern is:   no + uncountable noun
The meaning = do not have = does not exist = 。。。がない

****************

It is not cold today.
I am not tall.
Peter is not rich.
I am not a doctor.

This pattern is:   be verb + adjective
                        be verb + noun
The meaning = not that condition = not that thing = 。。。ではない

****************

I will not go to school tomorrow.
I have not seen Taro this week.
I do not like orange clothes.

This pattern is: not + verb
The meaning = 動詞 + ない 


By the way, for Part One, we often change "no" to "not".  Now the verb is negative and we use "any".
I don't have any money.
I haven't any money. (British English style)
Peter wasn't any help at all.
There isn't any salt on the table.

No comments: