Sunday, June 19, 2011

Talking about Israel

Today Meirav told us about Israel and Judaism. 

Judaism = cultural, religious, and social customs of the Jewish people.
Jew = person who belongs to the Jewish faith (noun)
Jewish = (adjective)
It was very interesting and I think the 90 minutes passed too quickly. I want to study more by myself about the customs of Israel - it is a very small land but has a very, very long history. 
One of the very surprising things was that people don't eat much fish. I expected that fish would be a main food group because of the long coast on the Mediterranean Sea. It was also amazing to hear that the Sea of Galilee is actually not a sea - it is a big lake of freshwater, not salt water. 

She also told us about the water problem because the Sea of Galilee is Israel's only source of freshwater. I can understand that because Australia also has a water problem. But it seems for Israel it is much more serious. The process to change seawater --> freshwater that she talked about is called DESALINATION. 

de = not
sal = salt, in latin

She also showed us some photos and a very, very beautiful shawl that is used for praying. The design was simple, but the subtle colors were lovely and it was very soft to touch. 

I've asked Meirav to give us a cooking lesson in the autumn, when it becomes cooler. I'm really looking forward to it. 


No comments: