Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dai koubutsu!

I like the word 'daikoubutsu'. The Japanese kanji are 大好物。If you can't read kanji on your computer, they are 'big' 'like' and 'thing'. Actually, it means a 'favorite food'.

I learned this word long, long ago on a nature show. I know lots of vocabulary from nature shows :)

This picture is of my 'daikoubutsu'. Apricots are truly my favorite food and I could happily eat them every day. It is a big pity that you can't buy nice apricots in fruit stores here.

The secret of good apricots is to leave them ripen on the tree. If you pick them green and ripen them later, they won't taste nice at all.

Last autumn Mrs K was very kind to give me two apricot saplings. I am growing them in pots. This year they had blossoms but it was windy so most of the blooms fell off and I could get only one fruit. But that is okay because I thought I must wait a few years for the trees to mature.

And I was a wonderful wife and shared my single apricot with my husband :)

ripen - 熟する, 実る
sapling - 若木

No comments: