Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Star Festival

July seventh is the 'Tanabata' star festival in Japan. (In some places it is August 7th.)

I don't have children so I didn't do anything special for Tanabata like writing wish papers to hang on bamboo. But on Friday afternoon Mrs N gave me a lovely paper decoration and showed me how to make another one. This picture is her decoration and it is on the artificial bamboo (shhhh - don't tell everyone it is not real!) in my classroom. I made another decoration for my house at night.

According to the tale of Tanabata, the Weaver Star and the Hunter Star can only meet each other by crossing the Milky Way. If the night is cloudy they must wait another year. Um, I think this year it was cloudy but I forgot to look! But I did get this very beautiful picture of a pink Tanabata sunset.

Look at Mr Spider weaving his web right outside my bedroom window. He looks kind of small but is really very large :( Spiders are EVERYWHERE outside my house this season. Hah, hah, no burglars will come because the spiders will catch them!

No comments: