Thursday, February 17, 2011

Being organized in the mornings

I usually start work at 7:30 or 8am, which means I should leave my house at 7 or 7:30am.

I like starting work early but winter in Tsukuba can be really freezing - I think the average morning temperature in January was minus 3 to minus 4. (One day it was minus 6 and all the pipes in my house froze ...) Anyway, so early mornings are good to start work (and study!) bright and fresh but I don't want to wake up really, really early.

I can do absolutely everything and be out the door in just 30 minutes each morning :) The key point is you have to be organized. I prepare everything the night before:
- all my clothes are set out, in the exact order I get dressed.
- the kettle is full of water ready to be turned on.
- the tea leaves are prepared in the pot.
- if I want to eat breakfast, it must be cooked the night before or be a banana, etc.
- my lunch is in the fridge, ready to be put in my lunch bag.
- any other items I must take to the office are in a bag ready to go.
- a bottle of water is in the entrance in case I have to get ice off the car.

You can actually do quite a lot at the same time if you are organized, for example, I turn on the kettle before going to wash my face, then go back and put the hot water over the tea to steep, then go to do my hair, then I can drink my tea while dressing.

Of course it helps that I have no children :) I really admire mothers that can get everyone ready and out the door before 8am!

How long does your morning routine take? What could you do to be more organized and stress free in the morning?

No comments: