Monday, April 04, 2011

Lunch in Tokyo

Yesterday I had lunch in Tokyo. It was something that had been planned for many months and that I had been looking forward to.

I used to live in Tokyo and I'm familiar with the old downtown districts in Arakawa and Taito Wards. But in these past few years I only go to the metropolis a few times a year. Of course there are many things to do in Tokyo but sometimes too many things and I can never decide which one to choose :) Tsukuba is becoming more and more convenient for shopping so it has been a long time since I needed to go to Tokyo for something I couldn't get here or on the Internet.

I really like the Hibiya Line subway, followed by the Ginza Line. Especially the Hibiya Line stations are in parts of historical Tokyo where you can find things that haven't changed much in decades. Some shops date back to the Edo Period. Yesterday I could use both lines to get to Akasaka-mitsuke -- very modern Tokyo :) And so quiet on a weekend because it is almost all office buildings.

Except for many escalators that were cordoned off and not working (to save electricity) the city was exactly the same as always. For most Tokyoites, life is perfectly normal :)


date back to the Edo Period = are from the Edo Period = were built in the Edo Period


And so quiet = And therefore quiet


Tokyoites = people who live in Tokyo  {---ites, ---ers}

No comments: