Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rustling in the grass

On Monday morning I was watering my flowers when I heard something rustling in the grass. "カサカサ"

At first I saw a small lizard as it ran away. Next there was a louder sound  カサカサ.....

It was a young snake! Not a baby from this year, but maybe one born last year because it was only about 50cm long. It was a lovely color with chocolate brown spots. Just recently I had been saying to my husband that I hoped to find a baby snake. (Baby ones are very cute.)

I'm sorry, I couldn't take a picture because I didn't have my camera and it was very shy and slithered away quickly. I copied a picture from another person's blog, so please visit that page and look at it. 


Aodaishou 
It was an "aodaishou" NOT a viper! Vipers have triangular heads and flatter bodies. My snake was long and thin with a very slender head and was very shy. In English they are called "Japanese Rat Snakes". They live here and there in Tsukuba. You can probably find them in Doho Park or in the land around your institute, or surely in the university grounds. It is nice that these green spaces are like mini-wildlife parks and protect the native creatures.

No comments: