Sunday, June 11, 2006

Miso-ume Dressing

Last year M-san gave me some delicious miso-ume dressing. It was good with salad, or as a sauce for chicken or pork. I really wanted to make some more but I had to wait until this season when green ume are in season.

Japanese ume are usually called 'plums' but in fact I think they are closer to apricots, though much more sour.

To make the dressing you need equal weights of green plums, rock sugar and miso e.g. 500g of each. First of all you wash the plums (and you can dip them in white liquor to kill any germs) then dry them and put them into a jar. After that you add the sugar, and finally the miso. Leave the jar in a cool dark place for 3 months.

After the dressing has matured, put it in a pot and simmer it to reduce the amount of water. Finally, put it into clean bottles.

I really hope that my dressing is successful!

germs - 微生物, 細菌
mature - 熟成した

simmer - ぐつぐつ煮える

No comments: